Quote of the day

"You cannot hold on to anything good. You must be continually giving - and getting. You cannot hold on to your seed. You must sow it - and reap anew. You cannot hold on to riches. You must use them and get other riches in return."

-Robert Collier

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Behind Closed Doors - Chapter 1

Creative Piece

Author's Note: This is a story that I started a while ago. When I was writing it, I was going to use it for like a vent piece, but add some fictional things to it. In this piece, I put some descriptive wording to try to help the reader get in the story. :)



Chapter 1
Just another day at school

The cold wind nips at my face as I walk into Riverwood Junior High. I slowly climbed the stairs, not wanting to see the herd of wild dogs on the second floor.
"Hay June!" a friendly voice came from behind me. I turned around and smiled. It was my best friends. We had been BFFs since like 2nd grade. She ran up to me and hugged me. "OMG! I can't believe that it's a Monday!" she squealed. I just playfully rolled my eyes as we started walking down the hall to my locker.
"Ugh! I don't want to go to gym! I hate having it first hour!" I moaned, kicking my locker as I struggled to get it open.
"June! Stop moping!" my friend Ivy groaned. "You're such a moper.." I tried to ignore her, but for some reason I couldn't.
RING!!!
"Oh... We should be going to our classes," I said, starting to walk down the hall. Ivy nodded and started to run down the stairs to her Social Studies class.

❇❇❇

I sat down on the cold gym floor as I listened to the morning announcements. I strained my ears, trying to hear the kid who was fumbling over words.
“Yuck! Do they have to have Mac & Cheese for lunch today?" I groaned starting to stand up. The 7th grade girl next to me nodded. She was one of Ivy's friends. I didn't know her well, so gym has been a little awkward.
"I wish that they had better food." I nodded, agreeing with her. Both of our heads lifted up when we heard the ear piercing sound of our gym teacher’s whistle cry from over by the water fountains.
"Okay everyone!" she yelled, even though everyone was silent. "We are going to be playing Badminton!" Some people groaned, but I was actually happy, yet I kept my feelings to myself. Soon the teacher started putting people into teams.
"I hope we're on the same team," the 7th grade girl said, smiling.
"Okay! Morgan! Please go with Tom and June, go with Emily," The gym teacher yelled, staring at us.
"Seriously! I have to be with Tom?" Morgan moaned, dragging her feet over by the short 8th grade boy. He was the most annoying kid in the world! I'm not just saying this to be mean, but he is! Everyone in the school didn't really like him. Even some of the teachers don't like him. Sometimes I felt bad for Tom, but I just wasn't sure how to feel about him anymore.
"Well, at least I'm with Emily." She was one of my friends I guess. Emily was a nice girl, and she always tried her best. Morgan and I exchanged one last glance before heading to our team mates.
"Okay everyone! If you are on this court at the end of the class," the gym teacher, Mrs. William said pointing at the court next to her. "If you are at this court, you win. But if you are at this court," Mrs. William pointed at the court on the opposite side of the gym. "This court is where the people who lost most of their games will go to." As she explained the rules, everyone was like drooling over their rackets, praying for her to shut up so they could start playing.
"Each game will be five minutes long. If your team wins after the five minutes are up, then you go to the court to your left. If you lose, then you go to the court to your right. Got it!" Everyone nodded and ran to a court. Emily and I started off on court one, the court that the winners would be on at the end of class.
"We are totally going to win all of our games!" Emily said cheerfully. I nodded, waiting for Mrs. William to blow her whistle.

❇❇❇

We were about half way through gym class and Emily and I were on the third court.
"Times up!" Mrs. William yelled and everyone changed courts.
"Yes!" Emily and I yelled at the same time. We then ran to the second court, ready for battle. I started bouncing up and down on my toes as I waited for our opponents to get their butts over to the court.
"Oh great!" Emily whispered to me. "We have to play Jenna and Karin!" She rolled her eyes and make a little gagging noise. I giggled a little, hoping that Jenna and Karin didn't hear.
"Um... Are you going to start?" Jenna said in a snotty voice and then Karin giggled like something was funny.
"I seriously think that there is something wrong with them...," Emily whispered. I nodded.
Then I turned to the two snotty girls. "We're ready, are you?" They just glared at me, waiting for me to mess up. I through the birdie up into the air and whacked it as hard as I could. Karin dogged over and whacked it back. We kept doing this for a while until I missed. I fell on the floor as I tried so hard to hit the birdie.
"No!" I wailed to myself as me and the birdie hit the floor. Jenna giggled,  high fiving Karin as they celebrated their victory.
"Oh my gosh!" Emily screamed. "Are you okay?!" I nodded, almost not noticing that I was having trouble breathing. I looked around to see that everyone had stopped playing and where looking right at me. Their mouths were moving, but I couldn't hear them. Suddenly Mrs. William appeared and started talking to Emily, Jenna and Karin. I started gasping for breath, hoping that they didn't notice. I must of  gotten the wind knocked out of me when I hit the floor. I thought to myself as I struggled to stand.
"Ahh!" I moaned as I fell back down to the floor. Everyone was talking now, but I couldn't hear them over the screaming pain coming from my left knee. Mrs. William slowly pulled me up to my feet. She started talking to me but the pain seemed to clog my ears.
"It hurts," I managed to say. Mrs. William looked at me funny and I soon realized that what I said wasn't the answer to her question. "My knee. It...," I cringed, flinging my hand over to my leg.
"What have you done!" I heard Emily scream. I slowly turned my head to see her lashing out at Jenna and Karin. I didn't understand why she was so mad at them. I was the one who missed the birdie.
"We didn't do anything!" Jenna screeched back. Mrs. William looked red with fury. She stood up and left me on the floor.
The crowd of kids was slowly making their way over to the cat fight that Mrs. William was just about to stop.
"Girls! There is no need for a fist fight!" she hollered at them. All three of them froze. "She is just fine!" Mrs. William glared at them. I don't feel fine... I thought as I struggled to stand again.
"Um... Can go and take her to the nurse?" Emily asked, looking down in shame.
Mrs. William nodded and then said, "I want to see all three of you girls after class." They all nodded. As Emily ran over to help me up, I saw Jenna stick her tongue out at me.
"Do you really think that she meant to do that?" I asked, still struggling to stand even with Emily's help.
"Well duh! She is just a little brat who wants attention." She rolled her eyes as she hoisted me up.
"Ow..," I moaned. "Well, she is a brat so it makes sense." We both smiled slowly started walking to the nurse.

❇❇❇
"So how did this happen again?" Miss. Davis asked, as I sat on the little bed that was pushed up against the wall. I started to explain everything, but she looked at me like I wasn't making any sense. Miss. Davis just nodded and wrote everything down.
    “You can go now Emily,” Miss. Davis said with a smile. I looked up at the clock. It was almost 2nd hour!  I wish I could go... I thought to myself as I lay on the little sanitary bed in the corner, my knee still aching.
   Miss. Davis stood up and walked over to the phone. Then she looked at me. “I’m going to go call your parents.” She started typing in a phone number. I just moaned. I’m just fine! I kept telling myself, but I knew I wasn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment