Quote of the day

"You cannot hold on to anything good. You must be continually giving - and getting. You cannot hold on to your seed. You must sow it - and reap anew. You cannot hold on to riches. You must use them and get other riches in return."

-Robert Collier

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Oh... Chocolate...


 5/17/2012


Author’s Note: In this writing circles piece, you will learn that hiding things isn’t really the best thing to do.
    A rich, sweet, creamy smell fills the air as I walked down the street. I turned my head slightly, trying not to get too tempted.
    “Hello! Would you like to try some of the world's best chocolate?” a woman asked. I was about to just turn around and pretend that she wasn’t there, but I couldn’t help it! The chocolate just looked too good!
    “Um... I’ll take some home with me,” I smiled as she handed me five little pieces of chocolate. “Thank you!” I yelled as I ran down the sidewalk to my apartment. I quickly shoved the chocolates into my coat pocket so that my mother didn’t see. She hated me bringing thing into the apartment, and she hated sweets. The only time I could have sweets are at school and at my friend's house in secret. As I grabbed the door handle, I tripped on the outside mat and went tumbling to the ground, arms flailing. Our apartment is the first one, the one closest to the entrance where I fell. I could hear my mother's footsteps coming and I quickly stood up, grabbing my pocket. I squeezed it and it was empty.
    “Lo? Are you okay?” She was coming closer and I still couldn’t find my precious chocolate! A soft mew came from behind me and I spun around to see a cute little cat holding a little brown bag in its mouth.
    “Oh, thank you!” I whispered, petting its head. It meowed back and disappeared around the corner. 
    “Lo! Did you fall again?” my mother asked with a little laugh. I smiled back and stepped inside.
    “I went to the market again. I think all of the wonderful smells must of distracted me,” I tried to smile, hoping she didn’t see my hand squeeze my pocket harder.
    “Well, you better be more careful next time,” she said not even looking at me. I sighed, letting my pocket fall to my side, hoping I hadn't melted any chocolate. My mother was already in the kitchen, so I dashed to my room.
    Finally! I thought. I set the bag on my bed and locked my bedroom door. Flopping down on my bed, I thought I heard the mew of the cat again. I quickly sat up and saw the cat sitting in my window.
    “Here you go,” I said, opening my window enough so the cat could crawl in. We both laid in my bed and I ate the chocolate, feeling the liquid gold melt in my mouth. The sweetness was so rich I slowly fell asleep with the cat lying next to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment