Quote of the day

"You cannot hold on to anything good. You must be continually giving - and getting. You cannot hold on to your seed. You must sow it - and reap anew. You cannot hold on to riches. You must use them and get other riches in return."

-Robert Collier

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

You Can Face Your Fears Through Song


10/4/2012

Author's Note: Everyone has something that they are afraid of. Well, in my narrative, you will learn how I got this opportunity to sing infront of a crowd and how I faced my fears.

Excitement blew into the air as my mother and sister got dressed for the party.
“Are you ready?” my Mom asked, patting her dress into place. I nodded, hoping that she didn’t see the nerve racking images zipping around my head. She ran to the garage door and opened it.
“It’s time to go,” she said smiling. I smiled a fake smile. “You will do great! Just know that you shouldn’t let your fears get in your way.” I just wish that she was right.

About ten minutes later, we had arrived at my Dad’s office party. Spotlights shown on the outside of the building as my sister, mom, and me made our way through the door. The smell of food was like a wave washing over us. It smelled so good! My mom told me that I should go watch the band play, but I wanted to go look at all of the wonderful food that was displayed on the tables. I nodded and forced my body to go sit in a chair and listen to the loud music. After minutes passed and I thought that my brain was going to explode because of all of the vibrations tumbling down on me like an avalanche.
“Here. I thought that you would like to have some food,” my mom said, handing me a little, plastic plate with a delicious looking chicken leg on it.
“Thanks,” I smiled and took it from her, but I just couldn’t eat right now. I felt like every word I said was going to come out as a wrong note.

About an hour has passed and my dad was finally up on stage singing with his band, The Band Of Dudes.
“Okay,” my dad said in a scratchy voice. “I’m going to bring my daughter up here to play the tambourine!” People clapped as I got on my feet and dragged myself into the stage. Half of me was saying ‘No! Stay in your set! You don’t have to do this!’, but the other side of me was saying ‘Go up on the stage. Face your fears about standing in front of a crowd of people. Do this for your dad!’ I syed, flushing all of my thoughts out of my head. I can do this. It’s just a tambourine... My dad handed me the tambourine and winked. He knew that I had to do, but I wasn’t too sure if I even knew what I had to do! Have my fears taken over?

CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! The crowd cheered as the song finished. I set the tambourine down and smiled, trying to show my dad that I was okay. My dad introduced the song that we were going to sing and he had to tell the story that went with it as well; of course. People listened to my dad as I started to read the lyrics that were taped onto my microphone. I lifted my head up and noticed that one of my hairs were sticking out in front of my face. I quickly tucked it back into place, hoping that everyone didn’t just all of a sudden get x-ray vision and could see every flaw. My dad must of finished talking, because I started to hear the drums start to count off the beat. Me and my dad nodded at each other and the song started. As soon as he started, my conscience flared up like a fire. You can’t do this! What is you mess up! Everyone here will hear it and will know that you are a terrible singer. I shook my head a little, trying to get the thoughts out of my head. I looked at my dad and he had just started going into the chorus. I quickly caught up to him knowing that it was too late and I couldn’t turn back.

“Woohoo!” “Ya!!!” I smiled, knowing that I had just finished the song, without hearing any flaws in my voice. I did a little bow and stepped off the stage. I went over to my table that I was sitting at and sat down, glad that I got to have this opportunity, and I’m also glad that I didn’t let my fears get in the way of the task set at hand.
My mom leaned over a little to whisper something in my ear. “I think your dad would like you to do this again for his TTT concert.” I felt my eyes bug out a little. I had to do this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment